The Q&A Archives: Fritillaria Bulbs...

Question: Hello..

I am in zone 5 in southern Ontario. We have had one week now of very warm temps (25 c plus) and some rain. I planted the Fritillarias last fall along with Tulips. The tulips are up about 4-5 inches (no blooms yet) but no sign of the Fritillarias at all. Is it too early for them?

Answer: In my experience they bloom simultaneously, but that depends to some extent on the varieties of tulips you are growing. Also, newly planted bulbs can emerge and bloom quite a bit later than normal because they spend some extra time settling in. It is also a bit difficult to get fritillarias growing, they are best planted very fresh and in a location with perfect drainage. If either condition is not met, there may be failure. At this point, I would suggest patience and hope for the best.