The Q&A Archives: Holly Help

Question: I just moved into a house w/ a large uncared for garden and found a holly bush about 5-6 ft tall. It is covered with yellow blossoms right now and I realize that it needs a pollinator if it is ever to produce berries. How can I identify the type of holly or weather it is male or female?

Answer: This is probably of more concern with the "blue" evergreen hollies and the deciduous hollies since not all types of hollies require a matched pair. If you live in a suburb, in most instances there will be sufficient other hollies in the vicinity to do the job, so it may not be an urgent problem. Probably the best/easiest way to identify it is to take a sample branch with blooms to the nurseries and see if you can identify a match. There are some subtle variations in foliage size, shape, and color that you will notice holding them side by side.