The Q&A Archives: What Kind Of Plant

Question: I am looking to put a container plant on a tree trunk which my husband has leveled but can not remove.The plants need to be deer -resistant and drought tolerant. It will be in the middle of a side lawn it will get mostly afternoon sun with a little shade from a tree. Any ideas will be welcome.
Thanks Paula

Answer: If the container is very large, you can plant a small shrub. Deer aren't necessarily attracted to the following suggestions, but that doesn't mean they won't taste it if they're hungry! Abelia, Anisodontea (cape mallow), Barberry, Callistemon (bottlebrush), Calycanthus (spice bush), coprosma, Daphne, and Lantana all provide spring or summer flowers. Perennials include Aquilegia (columbine), Armeria (thrift), Aster, Chrysanthemum frutescens (Marguerite), Astilbe, Felicia amelloides (blue Marguerite), Pennisetum (fountain grass), Rudbeckia (Gloriosa Daisy) and Scabiosa. Good luck with your new planter!