The Q&A Archives: Planting Daffodils Seeds

Question: I have taken some Daffodil seeds out of one of the undeveloped bulbs and would like to know how best to plant them for next year?

Answer: I'm afraid I'm a little confused by your question. Daffodils can develop seed, but seeds are produced within a spent flower. If a flower is adequately pollinated, a seed pod can develop on the top of the stem, where a flower once grew. If you've taken something from the outside of the bulb, they are probably little bulblets (baby bulbs). This is the usual way for daffodils to multiply. If planted and properly cared for, the little bulblets will eventually mature into flower-producing bulbs. It can take several years for this to happen, however. You won't find seeds or bulblets on the inside of an undeveloped bulb, however, so I'm not sure what you've taken out of your bulb! Hope this answers your question!