The Q&A Archives: Moles In Tulips

Question: We have been experiencing moles getting into our tulip garden and evidently eating the bulbs. How can we stop this?

Answer: Many animals including squirrels will eat and/or move tulip bulbs. There are several ways to try to prevent them form doing it, but it can be a lot of work. One very effective method is to construct or bend a wire mesh enclosure, enclosed on all sides, and bury it with the bulbs planted inside. Another is to lay some wire mesh such as chicken wire flat on the soil surface right after you plant the bulbs. Allow the mesh to extend wider than the actual area where the bulbs are to discourage them from tunneling sideways to get at them. You can hide this under mulch if it looks unsightly. Some gardeners report success with dipping the bulbs in a repellent such as Ropel at planting time. In my own garden, I have found it more rewarding to just plant daffodils instead of tulips. The critters leave them alone and they also come back and increase from year to year. Most varieties of tulips, on the other hand, tend to need replanting each year for best results. Good luck with your tulips!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"