The Q&A Archives: Name Of A Flower And Availability

Question: I received some flowers for Secretary's Day and in the bouquet there is a flower that looks like an upside down bell. I was told it was from the Campanolia (Not sure of the spelling). I would like to find out if this type of flower is available to plant in a yard, or if there is something similiar to it to plant. Any information you can send would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: There are various types of campanula that would meet that description. These are hardy perennials and should be available at nurseries in your area that offer a good selection of perennials.

There is also an old fashioned biennial (Campanula medium) called Canterbury Bells and this easily be what was in your bouquet. This one is easy to grow from seed, or you might find first year plants available, again at a nursery that specializes in perennials and offers a wide selection of plants.

They would all grow well in a sunny location in well prepared soil of at least average fertility and average soil moisture. They are not too hard to grow in typical garden conditions.