The Q&A Archives: Spring Growing Time For Pampas Grass

Question: I purchased a Deer Resistant, Hardy Pampas Grass last year and I thought it did really well growing where I have it. When I bought it last year in May it was about 18 inches tall. It will be May first tomorrow and there is no sign of live yet, I did trim the grass down about 3 weeks ago to about 5 inches above ground. When should I expect new growth for this year to start. My other grasses have already started, is pampas a late start grass and if so how late??

Thank you!

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your decription, I am not completely certain which plant you purchased. However, Pampas Grass or Cortaderia selloana is only hardy to zone 7 and so would not be expected to survive the winter where you live. You might want to check back with your supplier as to what you have and what would be expected from it. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.