The Q&A Archives: Fuchsia Mite

Question: Is there such a thing and how do I get rid of it? Thanks. I'm not adverse to using poison.

Answer: Fuchsia gall mites are a relatively common problem and control can be difficult, if not impossible. The mites distort newly forming leaves and stems, so picking off affected plant parts can help control the population. Mites like dry conditions - try misting your plants on a daily basis, and be sure to concentrate on the undersides of the leaves where they like to hide. There are chemical miticides registered for use on fuchsias. Be sure to read and follow label directions. Some varieties of fuchsia are resistant to mites. You may want to try growing 'Baby Chang', 'Carnival', 'Chance Encounter', 'Isis', 'Miniature Jewels', 'Ocean Mist', 'Space Shuttle' or 'Trumpeter'.