The Q&A Archives: No Leaves On 1 Year Old Tree

Question: In the spring of 2001 I planted a chinese dogwood, I am wondering at what point in the spring I should be seeing some signs of life, as of now I don't see anything green budding on the tree. It is planted in full sun and was doing well last fall. Is this a late blooming tree?

Answer: Cornus kousa blooms quite a bit later than the native dogwood but it does leaf out before it blooms. I would expect your tree to show leaves at about the same time the native dogwoods leaf out, towards the end of their bloom period. I am a long way south of you and dogwoods are just leafing out now, so I think it is probably too early to be worried. Maybe you can locate some other kousa dogwoods in your area and see when they get their leaves, just to have something to compare yours to. Good luck with your tree, I hope it is okay.