The Q&A Archives: Lemon Losing Flowers

Question: My Lisbon Lemon put out a huge amount of buds and has dropped most of them. It is still putting out some new buds they are not maturing. I am in zone 7 so I bring the tree in for the winter. We have not put it outside yet as the night time temperatures are still in the 50's. The room is well lit and I water it when it gets dry. What are the probably causes for the buds to drop? Thanks.

Answer: Leaf and fruit drop are common and natural on citrus. The trees set more fruit than the tree is capable of supporting, so they drop the excess. It is a natural thinning process. Also, citrus are heavy feeders and grown in a container where it's roots can't seek out nutrients, it will need regular fertilizing. Try to find a fertilizer formulated especially for citrus and follow package instructions.