The Q&A Archives: Pyracantha Training

Question: I have purchased four pyracantha. The came in 5 gallon pots with each having a bamboo stake from pot to the top of the plant. Do I remove the stake and tie the plant to the fence now or do I wait for the plant to take hold for a few weeks?

Answer: You can remove the stakes when you plant the pyracantha. Gently tie the stems to the fence (be sure to leave a little room for growth). Your new plants will take a few weeks to adjust to their new home, so expect a little delay in their growth. Once the roots have become established, new shoots will develop and the training process can continue. Remember to gently tie these new shoots to your supporting structure, leaving a little room for expansion of the stems as they mature. Enjoy!