The Q&A Archives: Is The Vine Campsis Radicans "flava" Really Deer Resistant?

Question: Your info card on Campsis radicans "Flava" (yellow) says "deer resistant", but the info card on Campsis radicans (red flower) doesn't mention being deer resistant. I have had good success planting only deer-resistant plants in my garden (they nose around but only in the fall do they take an insignificant little nip of a few plants). I'm considering a 5-gallon "Flava". What do you think?

Jo Hart

Answer: Campsis is not especially attractive to deer, although it doesn't show up on many of the "deer-resistant" lists. As you know, deer will sample most anything, and they may browse on even "resistant" plants if they're hungry enough. Planting Campsis won't necessarily attract deer, but it's hard to say without exception that deer won't nibble if it's in your garden.