The Q&A Archives: Dead Flowers On Green-leaved Euryops

Question: I recently purchased a Green-Leaved Euryops in a container at our local nursery.....Many of the flowers that have bloomed have died --should I cut off the dead flowers? Also when I remove the dead flowers....a long stem is left...should I cut this stem?

I'm not sure if I should leave the dead flowers to fall off the stems or whether I should cut the stem and the flowers. I never had this plant before.

I plan to transplant it in a larger patio container and place it by my front door....will it bloom all summer and can I leave it out all year -- we go to Florida for the winter.

Thanks so much for any information you can give me.

Answer: Euryops is a member of the Aster family and has a long bloom season, providing the spent flowers are regularly removed. You can safely prune back the stems which have already flowered. Doing so will help keep your plant neat and trim, and will encourage the production of new flowering shoots.

Euryops is native to South Africa, requiring much warmer winters than your New Jersey garden can provide. Consider it an annual, or prune it back in the fall and overwinter it in a protected place such as a garage, or in a cool indoor spot such as an unheated basement.