The Q&A Archives: Using Plant As A Filler

Question: I am planting approx 40 Italian cypress trees approx 5-6 feet apart as a wind break and privacy barrier. What plant /ground cover would work well to fill in between the trees? I need something not too messy as the tress will be planted very close to a swimming pool. I would like something to fill in the dirt area around the trees, so during the windy season all the dirt doesen't blow into the pool. I live in a dry hot climate in summer, cold in winter. The coldest winter temps are approx 35-40 degrees. The summer in can reach 100 degrees

Answer: Some of the most reliable groundcover-type plants include Fragaria chiloensis (beach strawberry), Cotoneaster dammeri, Mahonia repens (creeping mahonia), Solandra maxima (Cup of Gold Vine), Houttuynia cordata, Asarum (wild ginger), and Epimedium. Any of the above will grow nicely beneath your Italian cypress trees.