The Q&A Archives: How Late In Year To Plant Pittosporum Tobira?

Question: I am wondering how late in the calendar year can I safely plant Pittosporum Tobira (and Wheeler's Dwarf--I plan on mixing the two)? Also, is this plant o.k. to install on a small slope? The area for this planting is, partly, under a large Italian Stone Pine and receives full sun from early noon to late afternoon.
Many thanks. ---T.W.

Answer: We usually recommend transplanting during the spring or autumn seasons, because temperatures are moderate and rainfall is generally abundant. These two factors will lessen transplant shock. The fact of the matter is, you can transplant anytime the ground is not frozen, providing you water the plants adequately during the first season, and provide some protection from hot summer sunshine until the roots become established. Planting on a slope presents only a small problem - keeping water from running down the slope before it has a chance to percolate down to the roots of the plant and thoroughly wet the rootmass. You can overcome this by creating a basin beneath each newly planted tree or shrub. When you water, fill each basin a few times, allowing the water to soak into the root area. Plan to water once each week during the first growing season (spring, summer and autumn), then less frequently the second season when the roots should be well established.