The Q&A Archives: Can The Bathroom Be A Suitable Place For Growing Gardenia

Question: I just bought my first gardenia plant and I was wondering if I can leave and grow it in my bathroom. The reason I ask this is because I live in the northern part of S.F. and my bathroom window is the only window in my apartment that would give the gardenia the sufficient amount of sunlight it needs. Is the bathroom a good place for gardenias? Thanks.

S.T. San Francisco

Answer: If the bathroom has the brightest light, it's probably the best place for your gardenia. These plants like moisture and humidity - they flower best under these conditions - and they appreciate bright light, but not direct sunlight. Since most bathrooms are relatively small, the fragrance of the blossoms will be intensified. Enjoy your new gardenia!