The Q&A Archives: Acer Palmatum Moonfire

Question: My kids gave my wife a Japanese Maple called Acer Palmatum Moonfire. I cannot find this on your website and need to know about it, such as how much sun, what size does it grow to, etc. Anything you can tell me about it would help greatly. Thank you.

Answer: Acer palmatum 'Moonfire' is a relatively new introduction. It has an excellent purple-red leaf form that holds color during the summer and will not turn bronze like many other forms. The 5-7 lobed leaves turn crimson in the fall and the leaf size ranges from 3-5" in length and about 4" wide. The tree is upright in youth, gradually broadening with maturity. It will grow to about 15' high. Moonfire will grow in full sunshine, but provide filtered shade if possible, to maintain leaf color throughout the summer months. Japanese maples will show burn on leaf edges if soil is high in salts; flood soil occasionally to leach out salts. Enjoy your new maple tree!