The Q&A Archives: Trellis

Question: I recently purchased a large Monrovia Mandarin Honeysuckle vine. It is supported by three stakes. When I install my trellis, am I to untie the vine from the stakes and drape it over the trellis or do the stakes remain intact?

Answer: The honeysuckle will wend its way through a trellis sooner or later, but you could certainly leave the stakes intact for the time being. Then once the vine has grown a bit more and become supported by the trellis as well as the stakes, remove the ties holding it onto the stakes. Also, in the meantime, you should loosen the ties if they begin to bind as the vine grows thicker. As it grows, too, you may want to gently direct or "train" the new growth toward the trellis so that it finds it right away, pretty soon it will be scrambling all on its own.