The Q&A Archives: Mini-Melons

Question: For the last two years all of my melon vines did very well, but the fruits were tennis ball size. While very sweet and juicy I'd hoped for family size. I can't figuire out why they didn't make it to full size. Please help.

Answer: Boy, that's a real puzzler, considering the summer heat you get in Riverside. There are a couple of things to watch for when growing melons: go easy on the nitrogen in your fertilizer applications. Nitrogen encourages lots of green growth. Try a 5-10-10 to help blossoms form and fruit to set. Secondly, melons require lots of water so make sure yours gets extra attention during the summer. Third: you might want to pinch the tips of the vines back after your first several fruits have formed. That will direct the plants energy into the melons rather than into growing more vine and producing more flowers.