The Q&A Archives: This Is The Second Season That Growing Your Peonies In Southern California

Question: My Monvoria Nursery peonies are in their second season and have not bloomed. I have read that it could be 3 years before they bloom, is this true? Could you give my any special care instructions for growing them in my area?
Thank you,
Hilary Cowart

Answer: There are a number of reasons that peonies fail to bloom. They need some time to adjust to their surroundings and sometimes won't bloom for 2-3 years after being transplanted. If planted too deeply, peonies may refuse to bloom at all, ever. Finally, peonies need a pronounced winter chill in order to bloom well. In your mild winter growing season, peonies may not perform well at all. I'd give them another year to become fully established. If they don't bloom by next summer, you may want to replace your peonies with something that will bloom reliably in your southern California garden.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"