The Q&A Archives: Planting Thuja Occidentalis Brandon

Question: I recently purchased 5 Thuja occidentalis Brandon trees. When planting, should I put some type of fertilizer, manure or compost in the hole with the tree? I bought the trees at Superstore and they have no idea and the greenhouses don't want to answer my questions because I didn't buy the trees from them at twice the price. I would be very grateful if you could answer this for me. Thank you.

Answer: Your Thuja will be happy in average garden soil, as long as it drains well. If the soil remains soggy for extended periods of time, root rot might develop. Rather than place compost in the planting hole, backfill with native soil when you plant. If you amend the soil, the roots will tend to stay in the rich soil of the planting hole instead of venturing out into adjoining soil. Once your Thuja are established and producing new growth you can lightly feed with an all-purpose garden fertilizer (apply at amounts listed on the label). Broadcast the fertilizer on the soil beneath each plant, scratch it into the soil, then water it in well. Best wishes with your new plants.