The Q&A Archives: Fence Planting Sun

Question: I am planning a flower garden in a small patio that gets 5 to six hours of sun per day. I want to plant a fragrant perennial climber on the wood privacy fence.

As you walk out of the house onto the patio facing the fence, you are facing west.

Any suggestions for plant choices?

Answer: If I am interpreting the information in your question correctly, the fence faces east and so receives morning sun. You might consider a rose such as Zephirine Drouhin, or perhaps the fall blooming or sweet autumn clematis. Both are fragrant and relatively easy care. Both of these plants would need some sort of support in order to reach the top of the fence. The rose would need to be trained along the top, the clematis would scramble along it on its own once it reaches that height.