The Q&A Archives: Growing Creeping Fig

Question: I bought 4-five gallon containers of creeping fig approximately 3 months ago. The gardener at the nursery told me they would grow fine againt a garage wall I have, made of stucco. The wall gets alot of sun exposure. So far the vines have not begun to adhere to the wall. How long does this process take? Also, how long do we keep them on the wood stakes they came with?
Thank You,
Leslie Stidham

Answer: Ficus repens is the creeping fig. It's an evergreen vine and attaches itself securely to wood, masonry or even metal in barnacle fashion. Remove the wood stakes now and begin training the vines against the stucco wall. You may have to prop them against it over and over again until the vines are mature enough to develop the sticky little peds that will eventually hold the vines against the wall. Once it begins creeping up the wall, it will creep very quickly.