The Q&A Archives: Is Sedge Grass Compatible With Black Walnue Trees

Question: I purchased both Rose of Sharon and Sedge Grass this weekend. While I know Rose of Sharon is compatible within 50 foot of Black Walnut trees I haven't found any information on Sedge Grass. Do I need to put a containor in the ground to protect it?

Answer: In my experience, a container is not very effective because the roots quickly grow out through the drainage holes and the tree drops stems, twigs, nuts and leaves on top of the plant anyway. I am unable to find a reference about Carex morrowii and juglone sensitivity, but I do know that the sedge grass prefers a moist, even wet soil and suspect it may be too dry in under the tree for it to thrive regardless especially once the weather turns hot. If you are determined to try, I would suggest planting it and keeping an eye on it. If it seems to decline or fails to thrive then you could transplant it. Good luck with your sedge grass!