The Q&A Archives: Lacecap Hydrangea

Question: I read that the Lacecap Hydrangea will grow from the crown and not flower in zone 5. Should I cut the wood back to the crown? Will I ever get the plant to flower?

Why would they sell these plants in WI if they don't hold up to the weather?

Thank you

Answer: Flower buds are produced on old wood for the following year's display. If your hydrangea freezes down to the ground each winter, there will never be any old wood, and your plant will probably not flower, except when it experiences a mild winter. If your plant does not freeze down to the ground, don't prune out all the old wood each year. Instead, leave the stems 18"-24" in length from the crown of the plant. In the spring when new growth begins, it will come from buds on the wood you left. In this case, the hydrangea will flower on the new shoots that were produced in the spring.