The Q&A Archives: Patriot Blueberry Questions

Question: My wife bought a Monrovia Patriot Blueberry plant yesterday. Do we need two plants for cross-pollination? What will happen if we only plant one? We could not find any info on your web site for this type (Patriot) of plant. Steins (store where my wife purchased) did not have much info either. They told her it did not require cross-pollination, but we are not sure if they are right. Please send any more info that you have about this plant.

Thank you,

Don Jamnik

Answer: Blueberries are self-fertile, but they produce larger, tastier crops if there's second, different variety, for cross-pollination. If you decide to have just the one blueberry shrub, your Patriot will bear fruit when it's mature enough to do so. If you want bigger crops, plant a second variety of blueberry such as Spartan or Jersey.