The Q&A Archives: Crocus

Question: I recently planted some crocus the leaves were droppy, will they still bloom,if so when?

Answer: I think your crocus may have already bloomed this spring and thus will not bloom again until next spring. Crocus are typically planted as bare bulbs in the fall, they then root and grow and eventually bloom the following spring. After bloom, the foliage continues to grow and mature, it goes through stages of elongating, drooping and drying up. At that point, the bulb (actually a corm) goes dormant for the summer. It will then grow and bloom again the following spring. It is important to let the crocus foliage grow and then dry and shrivel naturally as this is the way the bulb rebuilds its strength so it can bloom again the next year.