The Q&A Archives: African Violet Flower Buds Die

Question: What causes the buds on my African Violets to die before flowering, and how can I prevent it?

Answer: The same thing happens to my plants occasionally. Bud drop on African violets can be caused by the soil drying out between waterings. Excessive heat and dry air can also injure the flower buds. If you use a soil-less peat moss potting medium, it can be difficult to rewet the medium if it completely dries out, so you may need to water more frequently. Take care not to overwater, however, because that has its hazards also, including rotting and loss of the plant. I would err on the side of underwatering rather than overwatering and sacrifice a bloom now and then. Different types of self-watering systems are available that allow the soil to take up water as it dries out. These can be good solutions to watering woes.