The Q&A Archives: Flowers Dieing In Garden

Question: Is it safe to water your plants when it's hot outside. Can it burn the leaves if you do? Most of my plants have got like burnt edges and wilting. My 3 year old apple and pear trees are suffering, my budlia and many other plants, all wilting and burnt looking. Watering them in the sun is the only thing I can think of, unless someone has thrown something over the garden fence onto them, or maybe a bug.
I look forward to your reply, Linda Lewis

Answer: In my experience, watering in the heat, even in bright sunlight would not cause such widespread and uniform problems over such a broad range of different plants. However, burned edges and wilting could be the sign of an accidental herbicide drift, overfertilizing, a late frost, flooding, or some other unusual occurrence affecting the general area of your garden. With some detective work perhaps you will be able to determine the cause. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.