The Q&A Archives: Yellow And Chewed Leaves On New Butterfly Bush

Question: I bought a "Pink Delight" butterfly bush last month. It has been developing yellow leaves that look a little chewed. What is it ?? And what can I do for it??

Answer: Unfortunately, based on the information in your question, I am not certain what is bothering your butterfly bush. The yellowing might be partially due to some transplant shock and unseasonal cold temperatures, or to overwatering (the soil should be well drained and, while evenly moist is fine, it should not be sopping wet). The chewed look could be due to frost damage, transplant shock, drying out, or possibly even some sort of pest. You might want to take a sample to your county extension or perhaps to the nursery where you purchased the plant and ask them to help you identify the problem and how to proceed. I'm sorry I can't be more specific long distance.