The Q&A Archives: Royal Star Magnolia Not Blooming

Question: It is early June and our Royal Star Magnolia has not yet bloomed. We have had a very chilly spring here in Wisconsin but I am very surprised we haven't seen a flower yet. Could this because of the cold weather? What are your thoughts? Also, we planted the Magnolia last year -so we have never seen it flower??

Answer: Royal Star is a variety of Magnolia stellata and blooms in very early spring before the leaves come out. It blooms at a young age, so even a new plant should have a nice display. Unfortunately, it blooms so early in the season that the buds and/or flowers can be hit by frost and ruined. This is true even though Royal Star blooms a bit later than most of the stellatas. I would suspect that is what happened to your flowers this year although it is also possible that if it is in a very windy or exposed location it is too cold for it; the plant is rated hardy into zone 4 but a sheltered microclimate out of the wind is always recommended, even in warmer zones than that. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.