The Q&A Archives: Scrubs For Full Sun Exposure

Question: Need to replace 3 hydranges in a full sun exposure. Other scrubs along that same area are
weeping Japanese cherry tree
mock orange
dwarf Korean lilac
Viburnum p.t. Mariesii

The hydrangeas get too much sun and keep wilting over every day so I will move them in August or September.
But I need to look for a replacement. In addition to a full sun exposure from the south, this area gets early A M
east and some Western exposure.

Answer: If you need a small to mid sized summer blooming plant, then the summer blooming spireas might be a good replacement, their blooms are in the pink range. Another possibility for season long color might be the dwarf barberries, there are smaller forms with either red or golden foliage. Another possibility might be a smaller growing evergreen such as mugo pine or one of the many varieties of junipers. All of these suggestions would enjoy full sun. Your local nursery and county extension personnel may have additional suggestions.