The Q&A Archives: What Plant Is This

Question: ok I have a plant that came up this yr in my garden and I don't know what it is. It is a vine that is a very fast grower. It has drooping clusters of pea shaped flowers that go from white to purple, simular to the happy wander vine lilac, that bloomed in may and is still blooming. It has green small oblong leaves that are not on the stalk of the plant. They seem to look like a ladder, and is not havily leaved. From a distance you see the flowers not the leaves. It climbs with thin tendrils which grab onto anything even neighboring plants and is very invasive. I have done nothing to this vine which makes me believe it is an essy care plant. It is growing near an evergreen tree. I don't think it is a native plant. no one around here knows what this is but it is beautiful and would love to find out so I may find out if I need to make a cutting, or what to reproduce the vine. I have not noticed any obvious seed pods or fruit so far.

Answer: Based on your description I think you may have a bit of Crown Vetch (coronilla varia). Here is a photo (and links to additional information) from the University of Wisconsin herbarium site.

ALthough it is rather attractive and appears dainty, I would strongly caution you that it is truly invasive and spreading and can be very difficult to control once it becomes established in the garden.