The Q&A Archives: Pink Fruiting Banana

Question: I am just curious. Will the referenced subject grow in my location? If so, why don't the nurseries carry more of these items in this area? I am very interested in starting with some young plants in the fall to give them time to adapt to the weather here. Summers can be brutal.

Answer: Tropical plants thrive with more soil moisture and humidity than we have here in the low desert. Bananas will grow here, but they require a fair amount of input from the gardener. They need a protected location from hot afternoon sun, such as an eastern exposure, as well as protection from drying winds, and regular water. There is a subtropical fruit growers group that meets at the County Cooperative Extension office once a month, and they have a demonstration garden with some unusual tropical fruits. I think you can find more info about them at this website under Garden Clubs: