The Q&A Archives: Thuja Plicata In Mn?

Question: I have a Thuja plicata (western red cedar) tree and a Japanese Maple growing in containers. I've grown both from seedlings and am "attached" to both. I'm considering a move to Minnesota to help out my aging parents and am wondering if I can plant these two in Minnesota with its cold winters or whether I should give the trees to a friend here in the Puget Sound region before I leave. What do you think? Thank you so much!

Answer: Unfortunately, neither of the plants is cold hardy enough to withstand a Minnesota zone 3 or 4 winter, not even in the relatively warmer southern half of the state. The thuja is rated cold hardy to zone 5 and the maple depending on variety would only be zone 5 or possibly 6. I'm sorry.