The Q&A Archives: Kumurozasa Bamboo Browning Out

Question: i recently purchased a monrovia kumurozasa bamboo in a one gallon container. I planted it in a 17" pot. new shoots are coming up but the middle of the plant all towards the bottom is turning brown and drying out. I have had the plant in full sun and now have moved it to partial sun. I have tried watering a lot and now am watering less. do you know what the problem is?

Answer: This small but spreading bamboo, Arundinaria viridi-striatus (Pleioblastus viridi-striatus) actually prefers partial shade and an evenly moist soil. It is possible that it was suffering from excess sun combined with some transplant shock. Sometimes, if the soil in the original pot is not a good match with the new potting soil there can be a difference in water retention, with one drying out faster than the other. You want to try to keep both the old and the new soil moist to encourage the plant to root outward into the larger soil area. If you can keep it in morning sun (no hot afternoon sun) or in dappled light all day and also keep the soil evenly moist (but not sopping wet -- check the soil with your finger to see if you neew to water, or not), it should do fine. In my experience, this is a very vigorous plant and can even grow out the bottom drainage holes of a half barrel container after several years time so I would expect it to settle in and quickly show new growth.