The Q&A Archives: Scented Plants And Flowers

Question: What types of flowers or plants have a nice scent for a garden that will be in a restaurant? They cannot be too potent to cause allergies in some people.

Answer: There are literally hundreds of scented plants suitable for your growing region. You didn't specify whether they'd be planted in sun or shade, or whether you're interested in shrubs, vines, annuals or perennials, so rather than list them all, I'll recommend one of my favorite books: Scented Plants by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix, Random House Publishers, 1998, ISBN 0-375-75194-7. Inside you'll find lots of pictures, complete descriptions, and growing requirements for some spectacular scented plants. It should help you find just the right combination of plants for your restaurant.