The Q&A Archives: Indoor Azaleas

Question: When I was reviewing your database on FAQs for Azaleas I noticed you recommended planting the following azaleas indoors: Rhododendron simsii and Rhodendron obtusum. However your plant description sheets seem to recommend azalea indica. Is this the same thing?
Thank you

Answer: The three plants you mention are recommended for indoor growing because they are frost-tender. Indica is a Monrovia hybrid, bred especially for outdoor growing in southern California. It's an evergreen with parents from the tropics and it grows only in frost-free areas, performing best in warm, dry summer weather. So, if you can provide adequate light, you can grow it indoors. Otherwise, it's an excellent outdoor plant in your growing region.