The Q&A Archives: Care Of "spreading Sunshine Lantana"

Question: July 19, 2002

Two weeks ago I bought one of your "Spreading Sunshine Lantana's" in a 5 gal container. It was full of beautiful clusters of yellow flowers.

Now there are NO FLOWERS.

It is still in the container and I would like to keep it there. It is in full sun and I have been watering it once a day.

Am I over-watering - or under watering?? or what??

Thanks, Ed Loosli
Napa Valley, California

Answer: Lantana's should produce a new flush of bloom every month of the year in your warm winter climate. I suspect you're just witnessing a short period of non-bloom while your lantana gears up for its next display of color. 'Sunshine' is a creeping plant and will root wherever the stems touch the ground. Keeping it in a container will prevent the plant from spreading and producing additional flowering stems, which will ultimately reduce the amount of bloom your plant produces. If you want to keep it in a container, why not transplant it into something a bit larger? A half whiskey barrel or a decorative 15-gallon pot will give it a little room to spread out, and it will look fantastic spilling over the sides of the container. Lantana requires moderate water, but every-day watering might be excessive. Water thoroughly when you do water, but allow the top of the soil to dry out a bit before watering again. Best wishes with your lantana!