Answer: It sounds as though your impatiens may have gotten an overdose of fertilizer. If the roots were only shocked and not actually burned, the plant should generate new leaves. Only time will tell. Try flooding the soil with plain water to rinse away some of the fertilizer, then just water as usual and wait a few weeks. If the roots weren't harmed, the plant should recover. If you see no new growth in about three weeks, replace the plant with a new one. To avoid the problem in the future, feed your houseplants with a quarter-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer rather than a full-strength product. Feeding with a quarter-strength dilution every week during the growing season will keep a constant supply of nutrients available to your plant, and you won't have to worry about feeding too much or too little each time you feed.
Q&A Library Searching Tips