The Q&A Archives: Coral Carpet Rose

Question: I purchased four coral carpet roses. The blooms are a beautiful coral color and then change to a much lighter, white bloom with coral spots - very spotty and unattractive. Is this normal or do they have a disease? I would appreciate someone who is knowledgeable answering this question - I'd prefer not a guess!

Answer: What you're describing is known as fading or blushing. It's a perfectly normal condition. Blushing takes place when red pigment, which develops as the rose opens, fades as the flower ages. It often turns yellow or white, leaving the flower with a spotted appearance. Sometimes a purplish pigment replaces the coral, resulting in a brownish or rust mottled bloom. There's no control for the blushing process, other than to cut away the fading flowers if you find them unattractive.