The Q&A Archives: Wisteria - Winter Care

Question: What should I do with the wisteria that is climbing up my porch? It has lost all of its leaves (it is winter, after all). Should I cut it back, feed it (what should I feed it) or leave it alone?

Answer: This is the type of answer I love to get to my nothing. Just leave it alone for the winter and she will do her thing in the spring. My mother has beautiful wisteria growing in the same way you describe and she doesn't do much to it at all. Your wisteria will benefit from a bit of organic material such as compost added to the soil. Other than that, enjoy this low maintenance period!<br><br>However, if you're concerned about the way it looks, you can do some pruning in late winter-early spring to spruce it up. Cut young shoots back to about 3 buds, and remove any spindly sucker growth. Don't let it reach the gutters, either, or it'll pull them off the house!