The Q&A Archives: Outdoor Exposure For Alstroemeria

Question: I live in a costal environment. I received an alstroemeria "Princess Lily" as a gift, and I want to plant it outdoors. Your website says Alstroemeria should receive partial sun. Sunset Western Garden book says to plant in full sun. Customer service at Roger's Gardens in Corona del Mar, CA says to plan in sun, but to avoid late afternoon sun. Needless to say, I'm confused. Do I limit to morning sun, mid-day sun, afternoon sun, full sun? Can you help please?

Answer: Alstroemeria does best in morning sun with protection from hot afternoon sun. Since you live near the coast, the afternoon sunshine won't be as intense as that experienced in the valley, or at higher elevations. You should be able to plant your Alstroemeria in full sunshine without concern about afternoon shade. Obviously, planting suggestions from Monrovia and from Sunset are general - your mileage may vary - but they're good guidelines. You know your garden best. Choose a spot for your Alstroemeria that doesn't get too hot during the summer (reflected heat from walls and walkways can bake plants), plant it in well-draining soil, and water it regularly. It should thrive in your maritime climate.