The Q&A Archives: Red Ripper Pea/Bean

Question: This year I tried a new type of bean/pea. I tried Red Ripper. My question is, how can I tell when they are ready to be picked? Do they have a distinct color? My mMther-in-law have battled with this for days now. Please help!

Thank you

Answer: And question remains - is Red Ripper a pea or a bean? The answer is...Red Ripper is a large running vine, yielding 12"-14" pods that are loaded with peas! It's an heirloom variety and you can eat the red peas fresh or dried. For fresh, harvest when the peas are fully formed and you can just barely see bulges in the pods. If you want to harvest dried, allow the pods to dry completely on the vines. For more information, check out the following website: (it may give you and your Mother-in-Law even more information for a discussion!) Enjoy!