The Q&A Archives: Perennials and Annuals for Full Sun

Question: Can you give me some names of some perennials and annuals that do well in direct sunlight and are relatively easy to maintain? I am just starting a new flower bed in my front yard and don't know exactly which types of flowers to plant.

Answer: There are many perennials and annuals that should suit your needs. A few perennials include Rudbeckia (many varieties), Iberis, Achillea, Agapanthus, Anthemis, Armeria, Asters, Chrysanthemum coccineum, Coreopsis (many varieties), Echinops, Hemerocallis, Liatris, Salvia, Scabiosa, and Veronica. Most ornamental grasses will thrive in full sun as well. Annuals that will probably enjoy your front yard include Alyssum, Cleome, Marigolds, Portulaca, Sunflower (including many dwarf varieties), Amaranthus, Zinnia, Cosmos, and Verbena. Check out the Burpee website for many of these plants (