The Q&A Archives: Trees For Sound Barrier

Question: Hello,
I live by a reasonably busy street and would like to plant 6-8 trees to act as a sound barrier (I'm looking for high foliage density). The trees would ideally be, minimally about 10-12 ft high and be attractive to look at. Do you have any suggestions?

Eric Schwartzbaum

Answer: I think you'd get better sound reflection with tall growing shrubs rather than small trees. Some shrubs can be pruned to remove the lower branches so you can see the trunk pattern which might add an element of interest to your landscape. Shrubs of choice include Viburnum tinus, Photinia fraseri, Nandina domestica (heavenly bamboo), Abelia, Grewia occidentalis (lavender starflower) and Escallonia. All are broadleaf evergreen shrubs and all (except the nandina) provide seasonal bloom. The nandina will provide fall and winter interest when the foliage turns red. Enjoy your new hedge!