The Q&A Archives: Start A New Clematis

Question: I have a clematis that is healthy and blooms every year. How do I get a new start off the original plant?

Answer: The easiest way to propagate your clematis is through a process called layering. Simply bend one of the stems down to the ground, notch it slightly, hold the wound open with a toothpick or pebble, bury the wounded part of the stem in the soil and anchor it down with a couple of pieces of wire (or paperclips), one on each side of the buried part. The tip of the stem should be above-ground. Roots will form at the injury and the stem can be cut from the mother plant and potted up once it has developed a healthy root system. If you can, try layering several stems - you'll have a better chance of success. Good luck with your project.