The Q&A Archives: Cover Crops

Question: What are some cover crops that would be better to use in a garden with several different vegetables? I plan on planting them between my beds.

Answer: There are several different cover crops to choose from. They have many different advantages and disadvantages. Some of the most common are alfalfa, barley, buckwheat, crimson clover, oats, winter rye, hairy vetch, and winter wheat. Of those probably the easiest to establish with the least demands are winter rye and alfalfa. Winter rye should be sown in the fall and turned under in the spring. Alfalfa should be sown in the spring or late summer and turned under in the fall or spring. If you want to establish a perennial cover crop between rows, try Dutch or New Zealand White clovers - they're thick, low-growing, durable to foot traffic, add nitrogen to soil and attract pollinators. Keep it mowed and add clippings to garden soil!