The Q&A Archives: Columbine Seed

Question: I have two double flowered columbines and want to collect the seeds. Could you please tell me how this is done????

Answer: When the petals fall off the flowers, the stem will retain a green seed pod. Each pod will have many chambers and the seeds will mature inside each chamber. When the seed pods turn from green to a tannish color, the seeds will be ripe and ready for harvest. The very top of the pod will be open and you should be able to see the seeds within. I collect seeds on a dry afternoon by cutting the stem below the seed pod and turning the seed pod upside down so the seeds spill into a small cup. Make sure the seeds are completely dry before placing in an airtight container for storage. Be sure to label the container! Store your harvested seeds in a cool, dark location and sow them in spring, after the ground has warmed.