The Q&A Archives: Flowering Champa Tree

Question: Is there another flowering tree plant called
"Champa" with white flowers instead the yellow
flowered "Michelia Champaca and the Dok Champa,
found maybe in Thailand or Cambodia?
Can you please tell all names associated with
this plant (Scientific/Common)and all Champa
plants in the world?

Answer: I believe you are actually asking about a plant formally named, in Latin, Plumeria. (In English, it is often called frangipani.) Dok Champa, for example, is a name commonly used for what is apparently the national flower of Laos -- a particular type of plumeria.

You may find the following web page interesting, it mentions a bewildering array of names around the world for plumerias of different sorts, as provided by the Virtual International Plumeria Society.

There are also many named Plumerias, here is a listing of some of those at

again as identified by the Virtual International Plumeria Society. Their home page is at

I am not sure exactly how much information you need, however, perhaps either the above organization or the Plumeria Society of America

might be able to assist you in further specialized research if it is required. Good luck with your project!

There are many different kinds of plumeria.